From mid-February, H&R Block will run its income tax course.
From mid-February, H&R Block will run its income tax course. Jacob Wackerhausen

Stand up and be counted with a career in tax

I'M NOT really that great with numbers - it's probably got a bit to do with why I write, rather than perform feats of numerical gymnastics.

For those of you in the opposing camp, the ones who can tell the difference between a quadratic equation and the takeaway menu from the local Thai restaurant, a career as a tax agent might be the perfect fit.

Your ability with numbers will need to be a fair bit more advanced than the example above, but to help get your skills up to scratch - as well as learning more about how the tax industry actually operates - there are plenty of training options available.

From mid-February, H&R Block will run the 39th instalment of its income tax course, aimed at people who want to learn more about how to better manage their own taxation affairs, and for those looking to start a career in the industry.

The 17-week course includes about 50 hours of instruction and is generally one three-hour session each week, held at locations across the country.

The H&R Block Income Tax Course is designed to help students learn about income tax return preparation, from identifying income that is taxable to what expenses can be claimed as a tax deduction.

It also identifies what tax offsets are available and covers some of the more complex areas such as capital gains, investment properties and small business income.

H&R Block regional director Frank Brass said students would discover that the skills they learnt could enhance performance in their current job and possibly open the door to a new career.

"This course really appeals to a wide range of people, from those with finance and accounting backgrounds to people just wanting to make sure they're getting all the deductions they can," he said.

"Whether you're interested in preparing your own taxes or becoming an H&R Block tax consultant, these classes offer something for everyone."

To work as an individual tax agent, you must be registered with the Tax Practitioners Board which, in turn, requires you meet particular criteria, including qualification and experience requirements. For the full rundown on registration criteria, visit

For more details, visit