Sick turtle finds temporary home in bathtub
A KINGSCLIFF resident made his bathtub a temporary home for a half-metre long turtle who likely ingested discarded plastic.
Marine Action Conservation Society director Tim Jack Adams was alerted to the green turtle, aged about 30-years, washed up on Kingscliff beach by his neighbour on Wednesday.
Mr Adams said it appeared the turtle was not in good health after floating on the ocean surface for some time.
"I think he's blown up on the beach from the northerly winds and didn't have the strength to get back to the ocean," he said.
"Judging by the barnacles, it looks like he's been floating on the service for quite some time. I just hope he's ok.
"Usually it's because they eat a piece of plastic and they can't dive under the water because they float."
Mr Adams said the turtle was likely one of a small group of turtles who call Cook Island, off Fingal Head, home.
"He's had a rough trot, but if he pulls through we'll back him back out near Cook Island," he said.
"We have about 50 turtles who call that place home.
"Only 1% of the turtle population make it once they pop out of the eggs. It would be a real shame if one that did make it dies."
Kayla Kook, 15-years-old, found the turtle and dubbed it Molly. Her brother Josh was inducted as the first eco-ranger of the society a year ago.
Mr Adams said Kayla would now be offered a ranger position.
Australian Seabird Rescue, who deals with a variety of marine animals, rushed to retrieve the turtle for medical care.
Mr Adams owns Watersports Guru in Kingscliff and he often conducts group dives around Cook Island to admire the turtles and other marine life.
The Marine Action Conservation Society (macs-cares.org) was founded in Kingscliff and is dedicated to improving coastal ecosystems.