THE only man with enough evidence that could have seen him stand trial for the Murphys Creek murders is now dead, an inquest has heard.

An inquest into the deaths of Lorraine Wilson and Wendy Evans in 1974 came to a close on Thursday when counsel made their final submissions.

Counsel assisting the coroner, Craig Chowdhury, submitted there was sufficient evidence to establish a prima facie case for murder against Wayne "Boogie" Hilton.

Mr Hilton died in a car crash in the 1980s.

Mr Hilton was a persons of interest named throughout the inquest as potentially being involved in the brutal deaths of the two nurses.

Ms Wilson's and Ms Evans' remains were found in dense bush land at the foot of the Toowoomba Range in 1976.

Mr Chowdhury referred to multiple pieces of evidence which would have contributed to a case against Mr Hilton.

The evidence included a witness seeing Mr Hilton in a green car believed to be used in the nurses' abduction, Mr Hilton cleaning out his car sometime in 1974 after being out all night and having a tattoo which matched the description of a man spotted with Ms Wilson.

Mr Chowdhury said there was also evidence Wayne "Boogie" Hilton carried a tyre lever.

He said there was "no doubt" a tyre lever was capable of inflicting the injuries on Ms Evans and Ms Wilson.

Mr Chowdhury submitted there was "strong suspicion" surrounding Allan Neil "Ungie" Laurie, Jimmy O'Neill, Allan John "Shortie" Laurie and Charles Kingsley Hunt but not enough evidence to commit them of any offence.

He told the Brisbane Coroner's Court there was not enough evidence to commit anyone still alive to trial for the deaths.

"It's with considerable regret that I can't submit there is significant evidence to put anyone still alive for murder or mansalughter  for the deaths of Ms Evans and Ms Wilson," he said.

Mr Chowdhury said the nurses' deaths were one of the most horrific murders in Australian history.

He submitted the woman likely met with demise on the night of October 6, 1974, and were involved in a struggle with their abductors.

Mr Chowdhury also referred to the evidence from multiple witnesses who heard or saw the girls in distress but did not report it.

He referred to one man who claimed he reported to Helidon Police Station but there was no record.

Mr Chowdhury submitted that was an example that if it had been notified to the police properly, it could have prompted a more significant investigation into the women.

Sydney nurses Lorraine Wilson and Wendy Evans.
Sydney nurses Lorraine Wilson and Wendy Evans. State Coroner’s Office