Kingaroy Court House.
Kingaroy Court House.

Man jailed for knife attack over a 'bunga'

A BRISBANE man has been jailed after he threatened a man with a knife over a cigarette.

Dean Roger Harvey, 21, faced Kingaroy Magistrates court on Monday August 15 and pleaded guilty to threatening violence, discharge firearms or other act at night.

Police Prosecutor Sgt Wayne Bushell said Shaun Michael Blackburn was walking home from a barbecue in Murgon on Douglas St at 11pm on Friday August 12, when he noticed a car parked on the side of the road.

Harvey who driving the car, asked the victim if he would like a ride home, to which he replied that he only lived around the corner.

The victim heard another person call out his name and that person started talking about borrowing a 'bunga' or cigarette from Mr Blackburn.

Mr Blackburn told Harvey that the cigarette he was smoking was the only one he had left.

Mr Blackburn turned out his pockets and left as he had to go to work early the next morning.

Harvey then got out of the car and approached Mr Blackburn and asked him for the remainder of his cigarettes.

After telling him there was barely any left, Harvey responded with "I'm going to f*** you up, I'm going to stab you."

Harvey then produced a knife with a 20cm blade and was slashing towards the victims neck.

Harvey has a long list of past offences from assault occasioning in bodily harm, use of a carriage service to menace or harass, serious assault and common assault.

"This is one of the highest threats of violence, to threaten someone over a cigarette the community denounces this type of behaviour," Sgt Bushell said.

Defence Lawyer Tim Campion said Harvey had had 'a few drinks' and taken a bit of the drug ice.

"Realises that it was a silly argument and a really stupid thing to do," he said.

"He has slipped back into his old ways."

Magistrate Andrew Hackett said Harvey was a classic example of an ice user.

"What's he going to do about his problems with ice? because he thinks he can scare the hell out of the public," Mr Hackett said.

"The impact on the victim cannot be underestimated."

Mr Hackett sentenced Harvey to two months jail and two years probation.