How Australia and Turkey are protecting Anzac trenches
ENSURING the physical landmarks and national respect of the original Anzacs endure another 100 years are a focus of centenary commemorations.
Department of Veteran's Affairs minister Senator Michael Ronaldson said the government was working closely with Turkish authorities on how to preserve the eroding trenches and beaches at Gallipoli.
Visitors to the sites are able to walk in the trenches that run through what is now a national park.
Sen. Ronaldson said he did not want to see barricades put up around them, but noted the importance of maintenance.
"They (trenches) took a very serious battering earlier this year," Sen. Ronaldson said.
"We moved very quickly to build those walls back up again."
Striking a balance on how much to interfere with the native park was a part of the challenge.
"The Turkish authorities and ourselves are acutely aware of the necessity that we do not let what is here disappear."
He said the safety of those travelling to the services was of great importance.
"There is going to be a very, very significant Turkish security presence here.
"There will be at least 4000 Jandarma (Turkish police) we are aware of.
"The Australian Federal Police have been here for a number of months now."
He doubted anyone would leave the services saying there was not enough security.
"There might be some who say there was too much but I would much prefer to err on the side of caution with these things."
Sen. Ronaldson wanted the younger generations to be able to say in the future "I was there" or "I saw it on TV and how important it was".
"If they understand, they will remember. If they remember, they will do the things this nation will ask of them."
He said the commemorative period in the next four years would move from Gallipoli across to The Western Front.
"So on Saturday we will be reflecting back 100 years but as a nation, I also want us to look forward."