Decision that could cost Aussies $2800
A quick trip from Queensland to Victoria could cost thousands, with Sunshine State residents warned that if they return home after July 3, they'll be forced into hotel quarantine at their own expense.
From July 3, Victorians will be banned from entering the state of Queensland, and instead will be forced into 14 days of hotel quarantine. Queensland residents returning from the Garden State from Friday afternoon will be forced to do the same - and it could cost thousands.
"It was time for Queensland taxpayers to stop footing the bill of that quarantine," Queensland Deputy Premier Steven Miles told ABC Radio Brisbane.
"So if you're a Queenslander and you do decide to travel through those hotspots in Victoria then you could well be required to quarantine in a hotel and charged thousands of dollars for the cost."
The announcement comes as Victoria records their 15th consecutive day of double digit cases across the state, while Queensland recorded another day of no cases.
The Deputy Premier said the reason hotel quarantine will be forced on anyone - including Queensland residents - came down to a simple lack of compliance.
"We found that compliance with people isolating at home has diminished over time," Mr Miles said.
"We do random checks at various points during those quarantine periods and the experience from Victoria has been that a number of their cases have come from people who have meant to be quarantined and failed to do so."
Mr Miles urged any Queensland resident to make their way home as soon as possible, or risk forking out at least $200-per-night in hotel quarantine fees. He said no Queenslander should be travelling south to Victoria.
"We really hope that (cost) serves as a deterrent so that people know they'll not only have to quarantine but they'll have to pay the costs of that quarantine, that will stop people breaching these restrictions we've put in place," he said.
"The risk from people who've travelled through these parts of Melbourne are quite high and so we need to treat them as we earlier on treated people who came from overseas.
Speaking to media on Wednesday, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said police were "working through" details on how to ensure Victorians didn't sneak into Queensland with a false border declaration from this weekend.
As Queensland's state borders gear up to open on July 10 to every jurisdiction aside from Victoria, the Premier said they expect visitors to tell the truth about where they've been or risk getting a $4000 fine.
"We expect people to tell the truth because if it is found out that they are lying it is a very serious offence," she said.
Earlier today, NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard warned that any Victorian from a hotspot suburb will be banned from coming into NSW or face fines up to $11,000 or six months behind bars.
The rule will also apply to NSW residents, who will face the same fines if they choose to venture south to a Melbourne hotspot.
"Victorians living in virus hotspots have to take the Victorian and NSW health orders seriously and should be very aware that NSW will impose additional penalties if they seek to leave their suburbs to enter NSW," Mr Hazzard said.
Originally published as Decision that could cost Aussies $2800