Meet the bugler who will play The Last Post at Gallipoli

Road To Gallipoli Day 3: The bugler and a visit to the Nek

Australian Regional Media photojournalist Stuart Cumming has spent the week filing stories from Turkey, in the lead up to Anzac Day centenary commemorations.

Stuart will file an online blog from each of his days in Gallipoli, and will also reflect back on the diaries 100 years ago of Australian solder Vivian Henry Noble.


Day 3- April 22: I grabbed a lift with my Victorian friends Bill and Jo again this morning to make it across for a rehearsal of the Lone Pine Australian service. 

Grandstands equipped with large speakers surrounded the famed tree, which cast a shadow across some of the diggers' headstones.

I was lucky to have a quick chat with the army musician who will be playing The Last Post at the dawn service as well as the Lone Pine Australian service.


He has played the powerful call countless times in Australia as well as on Europe's battlefields, but Saturday morning's performance will be the first since setting foot on Gallipoli.

He expects seeing the beach and the hills will add something to his rendition.

I then walked past the trenches at Johnston's Jolly.

They are still recognisable, but eroded by a process that if left unchecked will eventually level the diggers' excavating efforts.

Next was Quinn's Post before I stopped at the Turkish 57th Infantry Regiment memorial while escaping inclement weather.

Visitors pay their respects at the Turkish 57th Infantry Regiment memorial at Gallipoli.
Visitors pay their respects at the Turkish 57th Infantry Regiment memorial at Gallipoli. Stuart Cumming

Preparations for a Turkish commemorative service were being finalised there, similarly to work being done at Anzac Cove.

The green manicured lawn of the cemetery at The Nek covered the graves of more than 300 Anzacs killed during the disastrous August Offensive. 

Listening in from the back of a knowledgeable tour guide's group gave depth to the story I had previously read.

Bad weather intensified and Bill and Jo came to rescue me from the ridge.


Thursday April 22, 1915: Ordinary parades. Just did as little as we could. Nothing exciting. Still feeling good.