HOT SHOT: Rams player Sebastian Bell. PHOTO:
HOT SHOT: Rams player Sebastian Bell. PHOTO: Contributed

Byron Bay Rams send a message to competition

BOUNCING back from an ugly draw with Rovers and an upset loss to Alstonville, the Byron Bay Rams showed their dominance with two wins over the last week.

Rams reserves set the tone with a comfortable 3-0 win over Lennox Head in a Tuesday night catch-up game.

A hat-trick of goals for Steve Kirkpatrick in the first 20 minutes together with a couple of disallowed goals, were testament to Byron's attacking strength.

Later that night the Premier squad followed suit with a goal to Seb Bell inside the first minute.

His second goal off a long through ball followed shortly then Lucas O'Donnell made it 3-0 at the break.

Lennox Head came out firing in the second half, but were out played by the Rams back line.

Goal number 4 and yet another hat-trick for Sebastian Bell sealed the final result.

Last Sunday, the Rams took on minor premiers, Thistles in both Reserves and Premier Division in Lismore.

A determined Thistles reserves squad held the Byron attack at bay and despite the Rams having more possession and attacking play, Thistles came away with a 4-1 victory.

Far from being a 'dead-rubber', the top-of-the-table Premier Division match up was one of the most important and exciting matches of the season.

While the finishing positions were already decided, Thistles were desperate to hang on to their undefeated title.

The Rams on the other hand were out to counter their first round defeat and get the upper hand going into the finals.

They took control from the first whistle and put away three quick goals to take a commanding lead.

The Thistles defence did their best to keep Sebastian Bell out of the game but could not hold back the relentless Rams.

They conceded goals to Bell, Lucas O'Donnell and Sam Owens within an inspiring ten minutes of football.

Rams veteran Bruce Morhaus suffered a terrible knee injury and was stretchered from the field.

Another Byron war horse, Todd Knaus stepped into Bruce's shoes. With his own knee heavily strapped he put in a lion-hearted performance up front.

A goal from Thistles and an unfortunate own-goal saw Byron's margin dangerously thinned at 3-2.

Coach Damon Bell reset to defend the lead from a fired up Thistles attack.

Far from just 'hanging on' however, the Rams attack was relentless with Knaus, Bell, Owens and James Tomlinson pounding the Thistle's defence right down to the final whistle.

With the scoreline remaining at 3-2, it was another great win for the Rams.

Final match of the regular competition will be another tough battle against Lismore Workers in Lismore next Saturday. Reserves kick off at 1pm and the Prems at 3pm