AT LAST: Plucky little toddler Finn Smith is on home after a harrowing few months in hospital.
AT LAST: Plucky little toddler Finn Smith is on home after a harrowing few months in hospital. Contributed

Brave tot Finn now finally at his home

AFTER more than two months in hospital Pacific Paradise toddler Finn Smith is home.

It was a difficult and emotional time for his mum and dad, Jason and Sarah, packing up the mounds of gifts sent from the Coast to their brave youngster

"Jason has already taken a car load home and we will still have another car load to take," Mrs Smith said.

The journey home included a stop off at Redcliffe Hospital, where Finn's nightmare first unfolded.

Mrs Smith noticed tiny spots appearing on her sick toddler while stopping off at Redcliffe on a day trip to Brisbane on November 22.

They took him to the Redcliffe Hospital and he was diagnosed with bacterial meningococcal and was rushed to the Royal Brisbane Children's Hospital.

He has been there ever since.

Finn faced a life and death battle as the deadly disease raged through his tiny body, bringing blood tears to his eyes and ultimately causing septicaemia in his arms and legs.

Doctors had no choice but to amputate his right hand and below the left knee on Boxing Day.

He also lost parts of his left hand and his right foot.

But when the final bandages were removed on his left hand last week, Mrs Smith was relieved to see they managed to save most of his thumb and some fingers.

A phone call from a mum in the United Kingdom, whose daughter had the same illness four years ago, has brought the reality home of what they face.

"She told us we couldn't have started (fundraising) soon enough," an emotional Mrs Smith said. "Just like any other child, he will want to be able to run and jump and play.

"As an adult, he deserves to be able to drive and when he goes to university - everything will have to be modified for him.

"He can't just buy a car and it will come out of our pocket.

"Their daughter also struggled for 18 months with the basic limbs she received from the hospital, they paid a lot of money to get her ones she has been able to walk on."

This is where the money generously donated by the Coast will go towards.

The family also face the struggle of getting a loan and finding a builder to build a home that will suit Finn's needs.

Mrs Smith has quit her job in a pathology lab to be a full-time carer for her son.

It also won't be easy without the safety net of the professional staff at the hospital and the new friends they have made.

Finn will be returning to Brisbane in six to eight weeks to have a cast made for his legs.

"We have a very long road ahead. But it will be good to get home so he can have a bit of freedom and to get him into routine," Mrs Smith said.


  • Fundraising events for Finn Smith continue to be organised across the Coast
  • To see the latest events, visit the Facebook page Little Finn Smith Fundraiser
  • Donations can be made to: Sarah and Jason Smith Suncorp Bank BSB: 484799A/c: 507005873